Between work, running kids to and from after school activities, and the holiday shopping that’s around the corner, time is often in short supply this time of year. Finding a few extra minutes to cook a healthy meal during the week can be challenging and often running through a drive-thru seems like the only option.
Don’t worry, it’s your friendly, household crock-pot to the rescue! The slow cooker is a great way to get a delicious and nutritious meal on the table in minutes, no drive-thru needed!
There are so many healthy crock-pot recipes out there. Some are one-pot meals with protein, carbs and veggies all cooked together. Other recipes just ook the protein, like a roast. To balance out your meal, try stocking the freezer with steamable bags of your favorite vegetables and brown rice for quick and nourishing sides. Low carb tortillas and bags of salad are other side options to complete your meal.
Try this healthier version of a classic, stuffed peppers. It’s a one-pot meal that takes just minutes to assemble. To save time in the morning, you can stuff the peppers the night before then in the morning, put them in the crock-pot with the broth. Dinner will be waiting for you when you get home from work or running the kiddos around after school. And now you’re the hero of dinnertime!
Stuffed Bell Peppers (serves 4, 1 stuffed bell pepper each)
- 4 large bell peppers (any color)
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ½ cup chopped mushrooms, fresh or canned
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup cooked brown rice or quinoa
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups low-sodium fat free broth (vegetable, chicken or beef)
- Optional toppings; fresh cilantro, guacamole, salsa, plain Greek yogurt
1. Cut just the tops off of peppers and remove seeds and ribs from inside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine lean ground meat, cooked rice or quinoa, diced tomatoes and seasonings. (uncooked meat works just fine)
3. Pour broth in the bottom of the slow cooker and turn slow-cooker to low or high setting.
4. Fill peppers completely with ground meat mixture. Transfer peppers to slow-cooker, cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or on low for 8 hours.
5. Serve stuffed bell peppers with a salad.
Calories: 246 Carbohydrates: 20g Protein: 27g Fiber: 4g Sodium: 390mg