Appetizer: Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
A Perfect Superbowl Recipe
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- ½ cup very finely chopped carrot
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce, such as Frank’s RedHot
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 pound lean ground chicken
- Finely chop mushrooms, onion, celery and garlic in a food processor. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the vegetable mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has evaporated, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray.
- Add breadcrumbs, carrot, cheese, hot sauce, vinegar, salt and pepper to the cooled vegetables; stir until combined. Add chicken and mix gently to combine (do not overmix). Form into 30 meatballs (a scant 2 tablespoons each) and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the meatballs until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165 degrees F, about 15 minutes.
NUTRTITIONServing Size: 5 meatballs
17.2 g protein
11.1 g carbohydrates
1.5 g fiber