With the weather finally getting warmer and the sun shining, a lot of us are getting outdoors on a regular basis. This is the perfect time of year to get started exercising and more physically active if you are not already. If you are already physically active, now is the time to take it to the next level!
Physical activity can be of benefit to everyone. Since May is National Physical Fitness and Sports Month, FWL wants to help you get moving!
Here are some of the benefits of physical activity:
Children and adolescents – Physical activity can improve muscular fitness, bone and heart health.
Adults – Physical activity can lower risk for heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and some types of cancer.
Older Adults– Physical activity can lower the risk of falls and improve cognitive functioning (like judgment and learning).
FWL would like to see you get more physically active! Set a GOAL and get more active.
G: GO out and get moving
O: OUTDOORS or OUTSIDE is a great place to explore and get more physical activity.
A: ACTIVATE your metabolism. Physical activity will boost your metabolism!
L: LOSE weight and feel better!
WAYS TO BE MORE PHYSICALLY ACTIVE:
RECREATIONAL ACTIVITIES: Perform 2-3 days/week
- Golf, bowling, baseball, soccer, hiking, in-line skating, dancing, canoeing, yoga, martial arts
AEROBIC EXERCISE: Perform 3-5 days/week for 20-60 minutes.
- Running, walking briskly, cycling, cross-country skiing, in-line skating, stair stepping,biking
FLEXIBILITY EXERCISE: Perform 2-3 days/week
- Static stretch of major muscle groups
- Hold each stretch for 10-30 seconds
STRENGTHENING: Perform 2-3 days/week
- Bicep curls, triceps press, squats, lunges, push-ups
- Perform 8-10 exercises 2 sets of 10-20 repetitions; use light weights
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY: Perform most days of the week
- Take the stairs, garden/weed, wash & wax the car, rake leaves, mow the lawn, walk to do errands, walk the dogs, clean the house, play with your kids
- Try to accumulate 30+ minutes per day
THINGS TO DO SPARINGLY:
- Play video games, spend time on the computer, watch TV, use labor saving devices like escalators/elevators
I hope this blog inspires you to get more physically active during the month of May and subsequent months.