So you have made your New Year’s Resolution to start eating healthier. Great! Now what?
Now it’s time to start planning. Planning a weekly menu is the key to successful healthy eating. Take a little time to write down what you will eat for each meal and snack, then make your grocery list from your menu. You can use a menu sheet like the example here to help you. When you hit the grocery store, stick to your list while you shop. Getting yourself into the habit of doing this weekly will save you time, money, stress and calories!
Here are some tips to get you started:
- Look at your schedule for the week to see what you have time to cook and when you don’t. Days you don’t have a lot of time, use your slow cooker or have leftovers.
- For a budget friendly menu, check store ads for sales and coupons.
- Plan balanced meals that include protein, vegetables and fruits, whole grains and dairy.
- Save your menus and rotate them out. Make sure to note where to find the recipes you use.
- Cook once, eat twice. Double some of your recipes and either eat leftovers later in the week or freeze for a future, quick meal.
Here is one of my favorite quick and healthy weeknight meals.
Two Ingredient Salsa Chicken
(Makes about 2 ½ to 3 cups shredded chicken and servings will depend on how you’re using the chicken)
1 lb. (about 2) raw boneless chicken breasts
1 ½ to 2 cups salsa, your favorite
1. Place whole chicken breasts, which have been seasoned with a bit of salt and pepper, in your slow cooker and cover with salsa. Toss chicken with salsa until well coated.
2. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 6-8 hours. Remove each chicken breast out of the slow cooker and onto a cutting board or plate to shred with a fork. Add shredded chicken back to the slow cooker and toss with remaining salsa and juices. Serve immediately in your desired recipe, or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
My favorite way to serve this is over brown rice and a sprinkle of shredded cheese and avocado chunks. I like to pair this meal with a simple green salad, making the dressing with salsa and a little olive oil for a southwest kick.
For more planning tips, check out MyPlate, MyWins website: https://www.choosemyplate.gov/myplate-mywins-tips-meal-planning-made-easy