Many people set the goal to exercise more regularly, especially at this time of year with New Year’s resolutions. We all know that exercise is good for us. It can help us manage our weight, prevent disease, sleep better, and feel less stressed.
When you are setting goals for exercise, start small and be realistic. Here are some tips for success:
- Plan time for exercise into your schedule.
- At first, your goal might be to take a brisk walk for 15 minutes, 3 days a week.
- After a month, increase your workouts by 5 minutes.
- Work gradually toward the goal of 30-60 minutes of exercise 5 days a week, with strength training twice a week.
- Mix things up. Try an aerobic dance class, join a group workout at a nearby park, or look for workout videos online.
Don’t have time to exercise? You can still benefit from incorporating physical activity into your lifestyle. Do this by finding ways to increase your physical activity throughout the day:
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Park at the far end of the parking lot.
- Pace around while you’re on the phone.
- Walk laps around the field or court while you watch your child’s game.
Get creative! Look for ways to be active throughout your day. You will find that ten minutes of activity here and there throughout the day quickly add up to 30 minutes or more.
Need help finding motivation? Ask a friend to be your workout partner, go for a family hike or bike ride on weekends, or hire a personal trainer to guide your workouts. Have fun with it!
For more information on aerobic and muscle strengthening exercise, and more ideas for adding physical activity to your lifestyle, follow the link below:
Now, get moving! Afterward, enjoy this post-workout smoothie packed with muscle-repairing protein and replenishing potassium.
Post-Workout PB Banana Smoothie
- 1 scoop protein powder, flavor of your choice
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter
- ½ banana, frozen
- 1 large handful of spinach, or mixed greens
- 1 cup unsweetened almondmilk, or cold water
Directions: Blend all ingredients together until smooth, and enjoy!
Tips: For a thinner consistency, add more liquid. To make it colder, add a few ice cubes at a time.
255 Calories 19g Protein 11.5g Fat 22g Carbs 3g Fiber